Thursday, November 04, 2010

New At al.com: Roundtable For Ole Miss, Part 2

The second half of my contribution to this week's al.com Blogger Roundtable has been posted. Here's a preview:

Auburn question: It was bound to happen sooner or later, but speculation heated up this week that Cam Newton might jump to the NFL after this season. Talk about both sides of the decision and what factors would matter for you if you were in Newton's large shoes.

I'm at a disadvantage here thanks to my not caring one little bit about the No Fun League. I've lived in Atlanta for a decade now, but I wouldn't go to a Falcons game if it were across the street and I had free skybox tickets. All that said, you don't have to be an NFL fan to understand why guys come out early--namely, numbers that start with a dollar sign and include two commas.

The question, obviously, is how much do you help--or hurt--yourself by going pro as a junior vs. staying on campus for another year. The perils of coming out too early can be summed up in two words: Jevan Snead. Newton's not likely to go un-drafted in that fashion, but guys who know a lot more about this stuff (or at the very least, pay a lot more attention to it) than I do think Newton needs another year of college ball to perfect his passing game.

No comments: