Tiger Tales is a new book comprised of stories from the Dye Era at Auburn. It began as a gift to give to Coach Dye for this Christmas, but has evolved into a gift for all Auburn fans. All of the entries were written by former Dye players about Coach Dye, their assistant coaches, and each other. It is filled with heartfelt gratitude toward Coach Dye for the opportunity he gave many of them along with some hilarious accounts of shenanigans that took place behind the scenes. Here are a couple of excerpts:
· From Gordon Stone, “Men, you will either get better or worse but you will not stay the same."
· From David Rocker, here's a Coach Dye classic. He said several times before games during my time on the plains, "Jawbone to jawbone, cheek to cheek. Were gonna find out what ya momma and daddy done put in ya.”
· From Kelsey Crook about Coach Joe Whitt, “Son you so stupid, if I put your brain in a bird it would fly backwards. Now do it again! And get there!!!!
· Coach Wayne Hall to Lamar Rogers, In practice one day, nats were flying around Lamar Roger’s mouth. Coach Hall looked at him and asked, “Son, did you brush your teeth today?” Lamar said, “No sir.” Coach Hall screamed, “Take your ass to the dorm and brush your teeth.” Lamar jogged up to the dorm in full uniform to brush his teeth.
· From Kevin Porter, Aundray Bruce comes to me and Tracy’s room one morning on game day before we head out for Tiger walk. He looks sad and despondent. Rock asks him, “Aundray, what’s wrong? Are you O.K? Aundray says “I don’t know. I’m scared.” Rock says, “Scared of what?” Aundray says, “I’m scared I might kill someone out there today.”
The book has 80 pages of recollections from Dye’s players, and the forward was contributed by David Housel. The cost is $18.00 each; $10.00 from every copy will be donated to the AFLC scholarship fund.
To order a copy, e-mail Wayne Bylsma at firstname.lastname@example.org along with Dena Quinton at his office email@example.com the following information:
· Name and shipping address
· Payment method, you can send a check or use a credit card. So send me the number and expiration date. (I prefer credit card)
· If you want them overnighted, and you have UPS or Fed Ex number we will need that number.
· We will add the shipping postage or if you do not have an overnight number, we can use my company’s account and we will add that cost to your total.