Wednesday, September 29, 2010

New at al.com: Roundtable for South Carolina

Here's a link to my contribution for this week's al.com Blogger Roundtable.  A sample:

I suspect you're going to see Auburn diversifying the offense more over the next few games, but that's more thanks to the rest of the offense maturing than a desire to limit Newton's carries.  

It's taken some time for Auburn to get the running back situation established. Now that things have worked themselves out, I think you're going to see Mike Dyer and Onterrio McCalebb get a lot more snaps from here on out, and Newton (with, I suspect, plenty of help from Gus Malzahn) also did a great job last week of spreading the ball around to multiple receivers (achtung, Lutzenkirchen!).  

All that said, I don't think you take a player of Newton's abilities and then design your offense out of fear he might get hurt.  When you've got a thoroughbred, you let him run.  Newton himself seems to be more than happy to carry the load.  I can't remember the last time I've watched a player who's so obviously delighted to be on the field.
Since I wrote and submitted that (a couple of days ago), I did recall another player who always seemed overjoyed to be playing football:  Carnell Williams.

No comments: